What is Radon?

What is Radon and Why is it Dangerous?

Radon is a cancer causing, radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell, or taste radon. But it still may be a problem in your home. When you breathe air containing radon, you increase your risk of getting lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General of the United States has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today.

- (Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon, pg 3).

How it Enters the Home

Radon moves up through the ground underneath your home, and seeps through cracks or holes in your foundation. It can also enter through well water. Once inside, your home traps the radon, exposing you to the harmful gas on a daily basis. Any home can be affected, new or old, well-sealed or drafty, even homes without basements.